You are herePCS Officer Duties
PCS Officer Duties
PCS Officer Duties
- Steering Committee
- PCS Chair
- Vice Chair/Trips
- Mountaineering Committee
- Training Committee
- Publicity Committee
- Social Committee
- Webmaster/Email Broadcast Committee
- Scree Publication Committee
- Nominating Committee
PCS Steering Committee Duties
The Steering Committee consists of the elected PCS officers and the Chair of each of the standing committees (or their representative), and exists for the purpose of developing overall policies for the PCS, as well as coordinating activities amongst the different committees in order to maximize the overall impact to the organization. Specifically, the members are:
- Vice Chair
- Mountaineering Committee Chair
- Training Committee Chair
- Publicity Committee Chair
- Social Committee Chair
- Webmaster or Broadcast Administrator
- Scree Editor
It shall be the responsibility of all committee members to:
- Solicit new members to the PCS and new leaders from within the membership,
- Integrate new members at monthly PCS meetings,
- Develop written procedures for their positions, to pass along to new officers,
- Ensure an orderly transition to new officers.
PCS Chair Duties
The Chair of the Section shall:
- Call and preside at meetings of the Section,
- Call and preside at meetings of the Steering Committee,
- Arrange locations for Section and Steering Committee meetings,
- Enforce the By-Laws of the Section,
- Ensure we’re complying with Sierra Club policies,
- Provide oversight for other PCS officers,
- Appoint and may remove committee chairs to carry out the work of the Section,
- Attend, or appoint an alternate to attend, the meetings of the Executive Committee of the Loma Prieta Chapter,
- Interface with the Loma Prieta Chapter office on Section business requiring communication with the Sierra Club,
- Survey current membership for direction,
- Foster new leadership,
- Update the PCS Informational Binder by Dec 31 of each year and put retired documents in the Archive binder.
SAMPLE AGENDA FOR PCS MEETINGS 1. Welcome introduce myself outline this agenda and say what the slide show is going to be special welcome to new or prospective members-encourage them to go on trips everyone give names-new members indicate themselves and say how they came to be here extra copies of Scree available 2. Pass the hat collect $1 for refreshments thank who provided it 3. Treasurer introduce Treasurer and indicate he/she will take subscriptions 4. Old Business 5. New Business 6. Trip Announcements introduce Trip Scheduler and see if any anouncements any trip announcements? 7. Trip Reports compile list from those listed in 'Scree' ask anyone to report on each trip 8. Break (approx. 20 minutes) 9. Slide Show
PCS Vice Chair/Trip Scheduler Duties
The Vice Chair of the Section shall:
- Plan and hold a summer trip planning meeting around mid-February.
- Plan and hold a winter trip planning meeting around mid September.
- Send a preliminary trip schedule (a summary) of the planned trips right after each meeting to the Scree editor for publication in Scree, and to the Webmaster.
- Collect all trip announcements for ‘Official’ PCS Trips, ensuring that they meet with club policy and have leaders qualified by the Mountaineering Committee for their class of climb,
- Notify leaders of trips which cannot be ‘Official’ of the reasons why, what must be done to make them official, and what they need to do to announce their trips as ‘Private’ Trips if they so choose,
- Forward the approved trips in the suggested ‘Trip Description Template’ (see separate document) to the appropriate resources for publication (currently that would be the Scree editor, the Webmaster, and to the Email Broadcast),
- Forward selected ‘Official’ PCS trips to the Publicity Committee for publication in the Loma Prietan,
- Follow up with trip leaders to ensure that required documentation is obtained (such as signed liability waivers, for example) and forwarded on to be archived by the Vice Chair,
- Substitute for the Chair when the Chair is absent,
- Serve as a member of the Mountaineering Committee.
Treasurer/Membership Chair Duties
The Treasurer of the Section shall:
- Notify the Loma Prieta Chapter office, the chapter Outings Chair, and the Loma Prietan of new officers, including addresses and phone numbers, immediately upon assuming office,
- Obtain and process new signature cards for the bank account.
- Collect any incoming funds and deposit them in the bank account,
- Maintain checkbook and reconcile bank statements, and prepare financial statements as required by chapter office.
- Reimburse Scree editor and others for authorized expenses,
- Provide annual reports to the membership in the January issue of Scree, following their term of office,
- Maintain the club’s membership list,
- Maintain an archive of valuable records.
Mountaineering Committee Duties
The Mountaineering Committee shall be comprised of four members, each of which is a qualified leader as well as an active leader and climber. The Chair of the Committee shall be appointed by the PCS Chair. The Vice-Chair/Scheduler shall also be a member of the committee. The other two members shall be appointed by the Mountaineering Committee Chair with the approval of the PCS Chair. The committee shall:
- Determine leadership guidelines based on Sierra Club policies and safe climbing practices,
- Develop a Leader List by reviewing and approving applications from prospective leaders who want to be added or upgraded, based on those leadership guidelines,
- Review the Leader List annually in the first calendar quarter to verify leaders’ current eligibility; including such things as valid Sierra Club membership, current first aid card, and any other time based requirements,
- Counsel prospective leaders on what they must do to achieve their desired level of leadership, and follow up with leaders whose currency qualifications have lapsed,
- Post the leadership guidelines in locations that will provide visibility to them, such as on the PCS website; and publicize any changes that are made to them, such as on the email broadcast or in Scree articles,
- Maintain leadership records.
In addition, the Chair of the Mountaineering Committee shall:
- Be the point of contact/liaison to prospective leaders,
- Assist the elected officers in interpreting trip/leader requirements, issues, and policies (including those promulgated by the broader Sierra Club),
- Serve as a member of (and liaison to) the Mountaineering Oversight Committee.
Training Committee Duties
The Training Committee can consist of as many members as needed to carry on its mission, each of which must be a qualified leader as well as an active leader and climber. The Chair of the Committee shall be appointed by the Vice Chair of the PCS. The other members shall be appointed by the Training Committee Chair with the approval of the PCS Vice Chair. The committee shall:
- Plan and conduct technical training sessions that reinforce and improve the climbing and mountaineering skills of PCS members, within the constraints of Sierra Club policy,
- Plan and conduct leadership training sessions that reinforce and improve the leadership skills of PCS members,
- Co-ordinate and publicize other types of training that are available to PCS members which improve their wilderness or leadership skills (such as Wilderness First Aid or the Sierra Club Leadership Training),
- Develop a pool of leaders who are qualified to lead training sessions, and provide training to them on training techniques (through Sierra Club funded programs).
Publicity Committee Duties
The Publicity Committee is a standing committee which can consist of as many members as needed to carry on its mission. The PCS Chair appoints the PubComm Chair and the PubComm chair in turn selects the rest of the PubComm members with the approval of the PCS Chair. The goal of the PubComm is to maximize awareness of and participation in activities which further the goals of the PCS. The committee shall be responsible for all PCS publicity, which may include:
Social Committee Duties
The Social Committee is a standing committee which can consist of as many members as needed to carry on its mission. The Chair of the Committee shall be appointed by the PCS Chair. The other members shall be appointed by the Social Committee Chair with the approval of the PCS Chair. The committee shall:
- Arrange slide show presentations for the monthly section meetings,
- Be responsible for maintaining PCS equipment related to meetings, and arrange for the loan of equipment needed for presentations,
- Arrange refreshments for the monthly section meetings,
- Develop plans for the Summer Picnic and Christmas party,
- Develop a plan for greeting new members at meetings and answering any questions that they may have about membership, etc.
This committee consists of the Webmaster and person in charge of the PCS email broadcast list. Both positions are appointed by the PCS Chair, and may appoint other committee members as the need arises, with the approval of the PCS Chair.
- The Webmaster shall maintain the PCS website, and be responsible for the design and implementation of any changes to the website,
- The Webmaster shall promote changes to the website which may have a positive impact upon the PCS or which may take advantage of new technologies or approaches to website design.
- The Broadcast Administrator shall maintain the PCS email broadcast list, and be responsible for the design and implementation of any changes to the list,
- The Broadcast Administrator shall promote changes to the PCS email broadcast list which may have a positive impact upon the PCS or which may take advantage of new technologies or approaches to list management.
Scree Committee Duties
This committee consists of the Scree Editor, and other members that the Scree Editor deems necessary to carry out their mission. The Scree Editor is appointed by the PCS Chair, and the Editor may appoint other committee members, with the approval of the PCS Chair. The Scree Editor shall:
- Publish Scree once a month, one week prior to the monthly PCS meeting,
- Actively solicit articles to be included in Scree, and perhaps write a few of their own,
- Encourage other members to write trip reports which then can be included,
- Include trip announcements, emphasizing the distinction between ‘Official’ trips and ‘Private’ trips,
- Include items of general interest to the PCS membership; including such things as announcements of changes to trip leader guidelines, or the Treasurer’s annual report to the members, or the advance trip lists generated by the trip planning meetings,
- Work with the Publicity Committee to co-ordinate placement of articles in other newsletters or publications.
Nominating Committee Duties
The Nominating Committee is a temporary committee which is formed for the sole purpose of nominating a slate of candidates for new officers for the next year. The Nominating Committee shall be appointed by the PCS Chair, and announced at the October meeting. If any of the Nominating Committee members do not meet the approval of a majority of the members present, the Chair shall call for nominations from the floor to replace the disapproved Committee members.